Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Road Overview

Mozambique’s main economic activity is agriculture, which naturally relies on road transport to access markets at district, provincial and national levels.  Being that Mozambique is a vast country, the road network and other surface transport networks (e.g. rail and waterways) play a key role in the social and economic development of the country, and the provision of adequate conditions for the mobility of people and goods.

The surface transport network also provides access to neighbouring countries, and is therefore important for the movement of transit goods through the ports of the country.

In recent years, traffic has been growing considerably, mainly long-distance and heavier traffic, as a consequence of the improvement in the economic situation of the country. The National Administration of Roads (ANE – http://www.ane.gov.mz/) systematically collects data on road traffic. Traffic counts are performed in 256 posts distributed throughout all the provinces of the country.

The road network is just 30,562 km long, of which only about 20% is paved (5,958 km of primary roads) and the remaining 80% of which is non-paved (4,963 km secondary roads; 12,764 km of tertiary roads and 6,876 km of rural roads).

For more information on government contact details, please see the following link: 4.1 Government Contact List 

Distance Matrix

Distances from Capital City to Major Towns (km)

 

Maputo

Xai-Xai

Inhambane

Beira

Chimoio

Tete

Quelimane

Nampula

Nacala

Lichinga

Pemba

Maputo

 

221

479

1,216

1,147

1,533

1,622

2,098

2,287

2,464

2,197 (via Malawi)

2,501

Xai-Xai

221

 

259

996

927

1,313

1,402

1,877

2,067

2,245

1,977 (via Malawi)

2,281

Inhambane

479

259

 

794

725

1,111

1,200

1,676

1,865

2,043

1,776 (via Malawi)

2,079

Beira

1,216

996

794

 

203

589

484

959

1,149

1,327

1,253 (via Malawi)

1,363

Chimoio

1,147

927

725

203

 

387

579

1,054

1,244

1,421

1,051 (via Malawi)

1,458

Tete

1,533

1,313

1,111

589

387

 

680

1,156

1,345

1,550

667 (via Malawi

1,559

Quelimane

1,622

1,402

1,200

484

579

680

 

546

735

913

949

Nampula

2,098

1,877

1,676

959

1,054

1,156

546

 

193

700

407

Nacala

2,287

2,067

1,865

1,149

1,244

1,345

735

193

 

890

420

Lichinga

2,464

2,197 (via Malawi)

2,245

1,977 (via Malawi)

2,043

1,776 (via Malawi)

1,327

1,253 (via Malawi)

1,421

1,051 (via Malawi)

1,550

667 (via Malawi)

913

700

890

 

705

Pemba

2,501

2,281

2,079

1,363

1,458

1,559

949

407

420

705

 

 

Travel Time from Capital City to Major Towns (hours and minutes)

 

Maputo

Xai-Xai

Inhambane

Beira

Chimoio

Tete

Quelimane

Nampula

Nacala

Lichinga

Pemba

Maputo

 

3’40’’

7’00’’

17’30’’

16’20’’

21’30’’

24’

30’00’’

32’00’’

38’00’’ or

32’00’’(via Malawi)

35’00’’

Xai-Xai

3’40’’

 

3’30’’

13’50’’

12’40’’

17’50’’

20’40’’

26’0’’

28’00’’

34’00’’

or 28’00’’ (via Malawi)

31’00’’

Inhambane

7’00’’

3’30’’

 

11’30’’

10’20’’

15’30’’

18’20’’

23’50’’

26’00’’

32’00’’ or

26’00’’ (via Malawi)

29’00’’

Beira

17’30’’

13’50’’

11’30’’

 

3’30’’

8’40’’

8’30’’

14’00’’

16’20’’

22’00’’ or

19’0’’ (via Malawi)

19’25’’

Chimoio

16’20’’

12’40’’

10’20’’

3’30’’

 

5’20’’

9’40’’

15’10’’

17’30’’

23’10’’ or

 15’50’’ (via Malawi)

20’30’’

Tete

21’30’’

17’50’’

15’30’’

8’40’’

5’20’’

 

10’30’’

16’00’’

18’20’’

24’00’’ or

11’00’’ (via Malawi)

21’10’’

Quelimane

24’00’’

20’40’’

18’20’’

8’30’’

9’40’’

10’30’’

 

6’30’’

8’50’’

14’30’’

11’50’’

Nampula

30’00’’

26’00’’

23’50’’

14’00’’

15’10’’

16’00’’

6’30’’

 

2’30’’

11’20’’

5’30’’

Nacala

32’00’’

28’00’’

26’00’’

16’20’’

17’30’’

18’20’’

8’50’’

2’30’’

 

13’30’’

5’30’’

Lichinga

38’00’’ or

32’00’’ (via Malawi)

34’00’’ or

28’00’’ (via Malawi)

32’00’’ or

26’00’’ (via Malawi)

22’00’’ or

19’00’’ (via Malawi)

23’10’’ or

15’50’’ (via Malawi)

24’00’’ or

11’00’’ (via Malawi)

14’30’’

11’20’’

13’30’’

 

11’00’’

Pemba

35’00’’

31’00’’

29’00’’

19’25’’

20’30’’

21’10’’

11’50’’

5’30’’

5’30’’

11’00’’

 


Road Security

Roads in Mozambique are generally safe.

 

Weighbridges and Axle Load Limits

Axle Load Limits

LCA Country (Mozambique)

Truck with 2 Axles

16 tons

Truck with 3 Axles

22 tons

Truck with 4 Axles

22 tons

Semi-trailer with 3 Axles

26 tons

Semi-trailer with 4 Axles

32 tons

Semi-trailer with 5 Axles

38 tons

Semi-trailer with 6 Axles

38 tons

Truck & Drawbar Trailer with 4 Axles

32 tons

Truck & Drawbar Trailer with 5 Axles

38 tons

Truck & Drawbar Trailer with 6 Axles

38 tons

Truck & Drawbar Trailer with 7 Axles

38 tons