All the aviation activities in Iraq are supervised by the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority (ICAA). The ICAA is the competent aviation regulator in Iraq: its works include; flight permissions, safety regulations and economical regulations. Any new carrier, need an approval from ICAA prior to the flight commencement.
For more information on government agency and airport company contact information, please see the following links:
Despite the challenging environment and years of under investment and deterioration, significant steps towards the reconstruction of the civil aviation sector have been taken by the state authority. Iraq's major airports infrastructure enhancement programs are being under way and provincial governments are upgrading existing airports as well as planning the construction of new airports to cater the growing demand. Iraq is planning to spend about US$ 30bn for the airports, and aviation infrastructure development projects are undergoing (ICAA 2014).
Dohuk Airport is under construction, due to 2014 ISIS assault on Mosul, no significant progress has been made, the construction work on Duhok airport has been suspended for security and financial reasons. The airport will be located along the road to Zakho (Turkey border) 25 Km from Dohuk city centre. The opening was previewed for 2015, but all funding on the airport was cancelled until further notice due to conflict in 2015.
All new carriers desiring to operate in or over Iraq must provide the following information to the ICAA:
The application shall include:
1. A formal letter explaining the proposed request for operation into Iraq.
2. Copy of Air Operator certificate with operation specification or equivalent document.
3. Copy of valid Aircraft Airworthiness certificate.
4. Copy of valid Aircraft Registration
5. Copy of applicable pilot certificates and medicals.
6. Proof of insurance (including any war risk clause).
7. Copy of legal corporate or company papers.
8. Ownership of the Air carrier.
9. Size of the Air carrier fleet (Owned/leased by the Air carrier).
10. Original copy of lease contract.
11. Principal place of Business.
12. Official agent in Iraq.
13. Air carrier code – IATA.
14. Name of the ground handling agent in the airport.
15. Type of commercial agreement with the national carrier (IAW).