There are 21 national airports and 4 international airports in Ecuador (Quito, Guayaquil, Manta and Cuenca). Only 2 are receiving a significative number of international flights (more than 10 airlines): 1) “Mariscal Sucre” (ICAO: SEQM) in Quito (Corporación Quiport S.A.) and 2) “José Joaquín de Olmedo” (ICAO: SEGU) in Guayaquil (Terminal Aeroportuaria de Guayaquil S.A.) Cargo flights movements in Ecuador are operated both through regular and ad-hoc flights. The number of cargo flights entering Ecuador is increasing at a rate of 1% per year while the number of cargo flights exiting the country is increasing at a rate of 3% per year.
The General Directorate of Civil Aviation (Dirección General de Aviación Civil) is the civil aviation authority of Ecuador located in Quito. It oversees regulation and safety of civil aviation, including aircraft, airports, and pilots. This directorate as government entity is charged with the management and development of the country's civil aviation industry. Ecuador DGAC implements technical directives as well as quality assurance protocols in compliance with national and international standards.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Ecuador also investigates aviation accidents and incidents, and is tasked with:
- Providing safe and efficient air navigation services to all aircraft flying within Ecuador’s airspace.
- Developing and sustaining safety oversight capability, in accordance with standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO); and working with/advising the Government of Ecuador on technical issues affecting the aviation industry.
- Implementing government policies on civil aviation and coordinating with/advising stakeholders on general developmental issues affecting civil aviation.
Rescue and Extinguishing Fires in Ecuador
Service of safeguarding and extinguishing fires in accidents or other aviation emergencies are coordinated with the Integrated System ECU 911.
ICAO Convention on International Civil Aviation - Doc 7300
Ecuador joined the ICAO Convention on International Civil Aviation - Doc 7300, with date of deposit of instrument of ratification or notification of adherence, on 20 August 1954
This is a list of active airlines, non-exhaustive and subject to variations. (May 2021)
- Dynamic Airways (2D)
- Interjet (4O)
- American Airlines (AA)
- Aeromexico (AM)
- Avianca (AV)
- JetBlue Airways (B6)
- Copa Airlines (CM)
- Delta Air Lines (DL)
- Spirit Airlines (NK)
- United Airlines (UA)
- LATAM Ecuador (XL)
- KLM (KL)
- Air France (AF)
- Iberia (IB)
- LATAM Airlines Group SA (LA)
- Gol Transportes Aéreos (G3)
- Air Europa (UX)
- Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas (PU)
- Wingo (P5)
Procedures for Foreign Registered Aircraft
The procedure is user-oriented so that the requestor is enabled to enter or leave the country with foreign-registered aircraft, under the conditions stipulated in Resolutions: 185/2015 and DGAC-YA-2017-156-R for flight authorization to and from Ecuador international airports
The application for provisional air service license by the operator contracted to provide the services must be undertaken from the country of registration for safety oversight while in Ecuador. This will require the foreign operator has a letter from the Civil Aviation Authority of the country of registration clearly taking responsibility for all safety oversight while the aircraft is operating in Ecuador.
- Request for authorization
- Certificate of registration
- Certificate of airworthiness
- Aircraft insurance contract and damages to third parties
- Aeronautical crew license
- Medical certificate issued by the Aeronautical Authority
Operator, Aircraft and Crew Documentation
- Air Operator Certificate
- Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Insurance
- Certificate of Airworthiness
- Crew Licenses
- Engineers Certificates
- Certificate of Maintenance Release
- Aircraft Registration
- Type & Marks
- Aircraft Serial Number
- Expected dates to and from Ecuador
- Desired Flights within the country
- Intended Pax Numbers and Cargo load
- Insurance policies of each aircraft that will be operated.
The application must include:
- Identification of the aircraft by its nationality and registration marks.
- Make, model and serial number of the aircraft and its engines and propellers.
- Name of the requesting operator, including its telephone number and AFS address, email or postal code, where the response is sent.
- Names of the crew in charge, along with their number of licenses issued or validated by the State of registration of aircraft.
- Number of occupants who do not belong to the crew entering and leaving the country on the aircraft.
- Airport (s) of entry and exit to and from Ecuador (to be international airports) and deadlines for this purpose.
- Approximate dates and times scheduled for entry and exit.
- Place or places (city and airport) where the aircraft will remain or operate.
- Place (address and telephone number) where you can find the crew in Ecuador.
- Reason for the stay. If the reason is to perform demonstration flights, they must know the names or be interested in the demonstration. In the case of repair or maintenance, indicate the name of the workshop, the type of work and its approximate duration.
How and where to obtain it
https://www.gob.ec/dgac. Select the online form button and proceed to fill in the required data and print the voucher to receive authorization.
Request authorization to enter and leave the country attaching the supporting documents of the team and crew to receive authorization.
Attention channels: Online (Site / Web Portal / Web Application), Face-to-face.
In person: Dirección de Inspección y Certificación Aeronáutica
Quito: Buenos Aires OE1-53 and Av. 10 de agosto (+593) 2 2947400 Ext. 4000/4001
Guayaquil: Av.de las Américas and José Alavedra Tama (+593) 2 2947400 Ext. 2030/2031
Attention schedule: MON – FRI 08:00 - 16:30
Contact: Dirección de Inspección y Certificación Aeronáutica Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 22947400 ext 4900/4940
Covid-19 protocol, 2020
The General Directorate of Civil Aviation of Ecuador (DGAC) reminds the aeronautical community of the provisions issued by the National Emergency Operations Committee (COE) regarding the transport of passengers by air. Requirements and protocols for passenger air transport:
International arrival -Any passenger arriving in Ecuador from abroad must present a negative PCR test result. The test must have been performed within (10) ten days prior to shipment. With the presentation of the negative PCR test, Mandatory Preventive Isolation (APO) will not be performed.
Passengers on international departure To leave the country, there is no type of requirement or test for COVID 19, however, the passenger must inquire about the requirements for entering the country of destination. Domestic flights There is no requirement to travel on domestic flights, with the exception of tourist trips to the Galapagos Islands. To travel to the islands, the passenger must present the negative result of a PCR test, taken within 96 hours prior to entering the islands, accompanied by a safe-conduct issued by the tour operator or hotel in Galapagos.
The COE provision reminds that every person who enters Ecuador must comply with the biosecurity measures established by the MSP, such as:
- Mandatory use of a mask.
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water or alcohol gel of at least 70%.
- Maintain a physical distance of 2 meters.
- Continuous cleaning of surfaces.
More details here: National COE Resolution https://www.aviacioncivil.gob.ec/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/RESOLUCIÓN-COE-NACIONAL-22-DE-DICIEMBRE-DE-2020.pdf