Key port information can also be found at:
Mukalla port is the main transportation gateway for Hadramout, Shabwah and Almaharah governates.
Port of Mukalla is a multi purpose port which receives, dry bulk cargo vessels, container vessels, general cargo ships, liquid cargo ships, RO/RO vessels and CRUDE/CRUISE vessels.
Activity comprises 400 vessels calling at the port of Mukalla and about 1100.000 mt.of different cargo type imported and exported anually.
Major commodities include; foodstuffs, cement, oilfield equipment and general cargo.
Mukalla is located halfway along Yemen's southern coastline, approx 270nm E of Aden.
Khalf Harbour lies 2km to the east of the town at Mukalla and to the west of Pas Kodar below Jebel Al Qara, which protects Mukalla from the NE monsoon between Oct-May.
Navigation and Maneuvering
- The port limits are on a line 2,5nm due west of Ras Marbet, thence due north to the coastline.
- The harbor entrance, between breakwaters to the south and north, has a width of 105m and a depth of 10.0m below CD. The ports turning area has a diameter of 240m.
- Pilotage is compulsory for ships over 200 GRT and is typically carried during daylight hours (night time pilotage is available on request).
- An open anchorage is used SW and W of Khalf Harbour, with depths between 10-20m, the anchorage is exposed to the SW monsoon and sea between Jun-Sep.
- Berthing is normally carried out during daylight hours, during darkness in special cases.
Port website: Website of the Port of Mufalla
Port Location and Contacts
Province or District
Town or City (Closest location) with Distance (km)
Port's Complete Name
Managing Company or Port Authority (If more than one operator, break down by area of operation)
|Yemen Arabian Sea Ports Corporation|
Management Contact Person
Closest Airport and Frequent Airlines to / from International Destinations
Airport Name: n/a
Description and Contacts of Key Companies
Mukalla Seaport Capacity
|No. 1 (on the S breakwater)||177.8 m||9.2 m (below CD)|
|No. 2 (on the E quay)||184.5 m||9.2 m (below CD)|
|Fisheries Quay N of Berth No 2||162.0 m||5.0 m (below CD)|
Maximum allowable vessel limitations are as follows; draft at anchorage is 8.5 m, 'loading weight' is 10,000 MT and LOA is 145 m.
- Larger vessels can only be berthed by special arrangement with the port authorities.
- A buoy berth to the South of Khatf Harbor is available, with pipeline for fuel discharge to storage tanks ashore.
- No 1 alongside berth is a combined dry cargo/tanker berth with connections to storage tanks.
- Vessels can anchor at the road stead, 0.8 km offshore with depths of 10-20m, where unloading can be carried out by barge.
- Cargo may be handled inside Khalf Harbor, all year and worked on a 24 hour basis - if required.
- A new slipway and fishing boat Jetty are being built in the NE corner of the harbor.
There are two 2 Voith Water Tractors each with 1470 kW (2000HP), based at Mukalla.
The harbour tug is capable of combating fire onboard ships; fire engines are stationed approx 3km from the port.
The harbor is regularly patrolled by the Coast Guard service which is operated by the harbor police.
Containers can be handled by ship's gear and by a shore crane (50t capacity), Mukalla port operates a 42MT Kalmar Forklift for handling containers and other cargoes.
Cargo storage facilities include 2 covered sheds with an approximate capacity of 38,000 CBM, and open yards totaling 27,000 m2 , however, typically cargo is moved by direct delivery to trucks and leaves the harbor directly.
Ballast and slop reception services are not available in Mukalla port.
Marine charges are the same as Aden port marine charges (please see section 2.1.1)