Key port information can also be found at: http://www.maritime-database.com/ports/topports.php
- Bossaso Port is the main seaport for Puntland and Central region of Somalia.
- Bossaso Port was constructed during the mid-1980s by the Siad Barre administration for annual livestock shipments to the Middle East.
- In January 2012, a renovation project was launched and KMC were contracted to upgrade the harbor. The initiative's first phase saw the clean-up of unwanted materials from the dockyard and was completed within a month.
- The second phase involved the reconstruction of the port's adjoining seabed, with the objective of accommodating larger ships.
Port Location and Contacts
Province or District
Bari Region – Puntland
Town or City (Closest location) with Distance (km)
Name: Bossaso (1 km)
Port's Complete Name
Managing Company or Port Authority (If more than one operator, break down by area of operation)
|Ministry of Marine Transport and Ports|
Management Contact Person
Abdimadjid Samatar Mohamed – Port Manager
Closest Airport and Frequent Airlines to / from International Destinations
Airport Name: Bossaso Airport (5 kms)
Description and Contacts of Key Companies
For information on Somalia Port contact details, please see the following link:
- Bossaso Port draft is 9 meters; the berth can only accommodate one ship at a time.
- There is no congestion reported of late. Humanitarian cargo does get priority although in principal, berthing is on first come first serve basis.
- Sometimes it has been observed that livestock and building materials ships get priority.
- Waiting time depends on cargo type. The main hindrance to the port is its smallness in structure of 150m in length and therefore cannot handle large numbers of vessels.
Bossaso Port – Seasonal Constraints
April to June and October to December
Major Import Campaigns
Livestock carriers get berthing priority so delays can occur especially at times surrounding religious festivals.
Bossaso Port – Handling Figures
Container Traffic (TEUs)
Discharge Rates and Terminal Handling Charges
For information on Somalia Port tariffs, please see the following document:
Port of Bossaso – Berthing Specifications
Type of Berth
Maximum Draft (m)
Information not available
General Cargo Handling Berths
Port of Bossaso – General Cargo Handling Berths
Imports – Bagged Cargo
Exports – Bagged Cargo
Imports and Exports – RoRo
Port Handling Equipment
Port of Bossaso – Port Handling Equipment
(Yes / No)
Total Quantity and Capacity Available
Comments on Current Condition and Actual Usage
Grain Elevator & Bagging Machines
Cranes, forklifts, trailers are privately owned. Port has 6 forklifts that belong to private people and they carry from 20 – 40 mt capacity
Port of Bossaso - Container Facilities
Container Facilities Available
Container Freight Station (CFS)
Refrigerated Container Stations
Daily Off-take Capacity (Containers per day)
Number of Reefer Stations (connection points)
Emergency Off-take Capacity (Give an indication)
Off-take capacity of gang shift (Containers per shift)
Documentation process required is as follows:
- Before arrival of the vessel clearance letter from H.E the President of Puntland or his vice President.
- Cargo certificates: Phytosanitary Certificate, Certificate of Origin, Re-export certificate, Fumigation Certificates, NNCR or B/L and Cargo manifest for eventual customs clearance Stowage/cargo plan and NOR (Notice of Readiness) tendered upon arrival/berthing
- During Discharge Daily progress report of shipment discharged Daily superintendent report
- After Discharge Final Vessel discharge report Superintendent final report
For information on Somalia Customs details, please see the following link: 1.3 Somalia Customs Information
Grain and Bulk Handling
- There are no installed bagging facilities at the Port of Bossaso.
- PortServ Company provides the services at the port when informed and contracted well in advance of a vessel arrival with bulk cereals. PortServ also provides direct bagging from ship.
Main Storage Terminal
Port of Bossaso – Main Storage Terminal
Number of Storage Facilities
- Private companies offer stevedoring services.
- Labour is abundant and readily available.
- No incentives are required.
- Labour is guided by working hours that has religion bearing.
- All transporters will deliver Galkayo and the Central region.
- Geographically difficult areas for delivery are Alula and Qandala districts of Bari region. In-land corridor Hargeisa – Berbera – Bossaso and Galkayo is used for internal transfer.
- This corridor is activated in case of emergency transfer.
- Customs and border cross clearances are required for any convoy from Somaliland to Puntland. In this case two signed and stamped letters have to be prepared.
- When letters are ready they should be submitted to the Ministry of Finance and Interior for approval in Garowe. Original approved requests are then sent back to Bossaso.
Port of Bossaso – Port Security
Current ISPS Level
Level 1 = Normal, Level 2 = Heightened, Level 3 = Exceptional