The politics of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) takes place in a framework of a federal representative democratic republic. The President of the Federated States of Micronesia is both head of state and head of government. Executive power is exercised by the president and his cabinet, while legislative power is vested in both the president and the Congress. The judiciary is independent of the executive and the legislature.
FSM operates on two separate regulatory levels National bodies under the FSM Government and at the state level for Pohnpei Chuul, Yap and Kosrae
At the National level are responsible for the following Regulatory Departments
- Office of the President
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Department of Resource & Development oversees the Division of Agriculture under which lays Bio Security and Quarantine and Food Quality
- Department of Transportation, Communication, and Infrastructure is responsible for all air and Maritime Activity including Ports Airports and shipping regulations
- Department of Finance and Administration oversees the Decision of Customs and Tax Administration. The responsibility of the division is to regulate and collect tax revenue and authorise Tax and Duty exemptions on imported goods
- Department of Health and Social Affairs
- Department of Justice
- Department of Education
- Department of Environment, Climate Change & Emergency Management (DECCEM) is responsible for the preparedness and Disaster response for all National Emergencies
- Office of Public Defender
Quality Control Laboratories
There are no Testing Laboratories in FSM. Test of items such as fuel is undertaken by SGS in Guam.