DR Congo is one of the 19 Member States forming the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), the largest Regional Economic Community (REC) in Africa.
DRC is also a member of the following Regional organizations:
- Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS)
- Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI)
- Economic Community of the Great Lakes Countries (ECGLC)
There are many regulatory departments in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Those that are empowered in regulatory activities such as tax revenue, control & quality assurance (fuel, food, medical...), and pre-shipment inspections are the following:
- Office de Gestion du Fret Multimodal: According to the bylaws of the OGEFREM all shipments with final destination Democratic Republic of Congo have to be accompanied by a ‘F.E.R.I. – Fiche Électronique des Renseignements à l‘Importation’ in order to ensure the proper cargo clearance at destination. UN agencies and INGOs can apply for FERI exemption with their line Ministries.
- Ministry of Plan: In charge of NGO supervision.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: In charge of UN supervision.
- Ministry of Social Affairs, Humanitarian Action and National Solidarity: Must endorse the Donation Certificate, one of the required shipping documents for customs clearance.
- Ministry of Social Affairs, Humanitarian Action and National Solidarity: importation of food by UN agencies; Ministry of Health: importation of drugs and medical supplies by UN agencies.