The market is very rich in all kinds of services/commodities with a various standard, in general the basic services required to set up and run the operation are available in Iraq, and in case of unavailability of some basic services, there's always alternative service to replace them for example the generators replace the national electricity grid during the outages.
For more information on company contact details, please see the following link: 4.11 Additional Services Contact List.
Rental properties are plentiful throughout Iraqi cities but are less common in rural areas. Iraqi houses/apartments vary in size and quality. In general, the newer houses/apartments will be found toward the outer edges of cities and older ones toward the middle. Many of the houses/apartments in the new residential complexes are equipped with security gates, security guards, and 24-hour surveillance cameras.
In addition, all hotels, motels, hotel apartments, and other lodging options are available in Iraq, and they are a combination of (1 to 5 stars).
Electricity and Power
Iraq's power electricity has a total capacity of around 10,000 MW. As a consequence of the increasing economy and the boom in consumer purchases of electrical products and gadgets, the demand for electricity has skyrocketed. Furthermore, power in Iraq is subsidized, resulting in increasing consumption.
Iraq's daily power requirement is 6,400 MW, while daily production averages 4.470 MW. And there's the summer peak demand: 6.800-7,500 MW, or 35%-40% of the peak summer demand that hasn't been reached yet.
In Iraq, electricity is generated by:
- Thermal power stations: the nominal rating (5,415) MW the actual rating (1,600) MW.
- Gas turbine stations: the nominal rating (2,181) MW the actual rating (650) MW.
- Hydroelectric stations: the nominal rating (2,518) MW the actual rating (650) MW.
- Diesel stations: nominal rating (87) MW actual rating (87) MW.
- Jordan 1 cent per kilo/per hour.
- Turkey 5.58 cents per kilo/per hour.
- Iran 650 MW of electricity from Iran.
There are plenty of reliable financial services companies in the country, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
Clearing and Forwarding Agents
There are plenty of reliable clearing and forwarding agents in the country, as well as a number of transporters who working as clearing and forwarding agents, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
There are plenty of reliable handling equipment companies in the country, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
Postal and Courier Services
There are plenty of reliable postal and courier services companies in the country, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
Printing and Publishing
There are plenty of reliable printing and publishing companies in the country, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
There are plenty of reliable taxi companies in the country, the most known ones are Taxi Careem and Ober.
There are plenty of reliable vehicle rental companies in the country, and they also have a representative office at the airport arrival terminal, the most well-known ones, can be found in the contact list.
Waste Management and Disposal Services
Municipalities are responsible for management of waste and disposals. There are sub-contractors who oversee collecting waste and disposals. These contractors have factories/facilities for recycling plastics and papers.
In Federal Iraq: The disposal of food and non-food items are through the Ministry of Science and Technology. While for medical items, the disposal should be done through cooperation with MoH and hospitals that have a special waste and disposal facilities.
In KRI: Below are the steps for disposing items:
- The organization/stakeholder directs a letter to JCC.
- The letter is entitled (Request to Dispose/Destroy Items).
- Attach a list of items (quantity and description).
- Attach photos of the items to be destroyed.
- Mention a focal point name of the organization.
- Based on the letter received from the organization/stakeholder, JCC sends a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The Environmental Protection Agency sets an inspection date for taking samples of items to be disposed.
- The Environmental Protection Agency determines the method of disposing based on the type of items.
- Following the disposing of the items in the presence of the organization/stakeholder focal point, the Environmental Protection Agency sends two letters, one to JCC and the other to the organization confirming the completion of disposal.
Waste Disposal: Non-hazardous
Municipalities serve as hubs for all forms of waste disposal around the country. Several hubs have been established to collect various forms of waste and handle its elimination or recycling.
There are lots of garbage bins surrounding streets and alleyways in every province's capital and key cities to collect disposals. The government has been attempting for some years to improve the culture of using garbage containers for various forms of disposals.
Waste Disposal: Hazardous
Most of the hazardous disposals are collected inside the plants or hospitals or other industrial places or related places under the control of (Ministry of Health and Ministry of Science and Technology in FI, and (Board of Environmental Protection and Improvement) in KRI. On the other hand, most cities in Iraq are connected to the wastewater network.
Disclaimer: Inclusion of company information in the LCA does not imply any business relationship between the supplier and WFP / Logistics Cluster, and is used solely as a determinant of services, and capacities.
Please note: WFP / Logistics Cluster maintain complete impartiality and are not in a position to endorse, comment on any company's suitability as a reputable service provider.