The politics of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) takes place in a framework of a federal representative democratic republic. The President of the Federated States of Micronesia is both head of state and head of government. Executive power is exercised by the president and his cabinet, while legislative power is vested in both the president and the congress. The judiciary is independent of the executive and the legislature.
FSM operates on two separate regulatory levels: national bodies under the FSM Government and at the state level for Pohnpei Chuul, Yap and Kosrae.
At the National level the following departments are responsible for the listed regulatory functions
- Office of the President
- Department of Foreign Affairs official requests to the international community for disaster assistance
- Department of Resource & Development oversees the Division of Agriculture under which lays Bio Security and Quarantine and Food Quality, energy, trade and investment
- Department of Transportation, Communication, and Infrastructure is responsible for all air and Maritime Activity including Ports Airports and shipping regulations and includes ownership of Government ships in each State
- Department of Finance and Administration oversees the division of Customs and Tax Administration. The responsibility of the division is to regulate and collect tax revenue and authorise Tax and Duty exemptions on imported goods
- Department of Health and Social Affairs
- Department of Justice
- Department of Education
- Department of Environment, Climate Change & Emergency Management (DECCEM) is responsible for the preparedness and Disaster response for all National Emergencies
- Office of Public Defender
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a laboratory for quality testing of food and water. Testing of items such as fuel are undertaken by SGS in Guam.
Further information is available at https://gov.fm/#:~:text=STATE%20GOVERNMENT,includes%20seven%20major%20island%20groups.
The Compact of Free Association (COFA) is an international agreement establishing and governing the relationships of free association between the United States and the three Pacific Island sovereign states of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), and the Republic of Palau. Under the compact, the US federal government provided guaranteed financial assistance over a 15-year period administered through its Office of Insular Affairs in exchange for full international defence authority and responsibilities. Negotiators initiated the Compact of Free Association in 1980. In 2003, the compacts with the RMI and FSM were renewed for 20 years and provided USD 3.5 billion in funding for both countries. An extension of economic provisions under the compact is under negotiation.
For more information on regulatory departments and quality control laboratories’ contact details, please see the following links: 4.1 Micronesia Government Contact List and 4.3 Laboratory and Quality Testing Company Contact List.