Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

PLEASE NOTE: This assessment was carried out in 2009. Information will be updated as soon as possible. 


Central African Republic Customs Information

CCO RCA - Guide des Formalités de Dédouanement de Biens en RCA

EXTRAIT CEMAC - Exonerations douanieres

Extrait de l'article 241 du code de douanes de la CEMAC

Formulaire F2

Formulaire F4

Duties and Tax Exemption

For contact information regarding government custom authorities, please follow the link below: 

4.2.1 Central African Republic Government Contact List

As per the agreement with the Central African Republic Government, WFP food importations are exempt from customs duties and other related taxes. In order to benefit from the above tax exemption, WFP should  follow the procedure:

CAR Tax Exemption Procedure

Emergency Response:

[Note: This section contains information which is related and applicable to 'crisis' times. These instruments can be applied when an emergency is officially declared by the Government.  When this occurs, there is usually a streamlined process to import goods duty and tax free.]

Agreements / Conventions Description

Ratified by Country?

(Yes / No)

WCO (World Customs Organization) member

Yes

Annex J-5 Revised Kyoto Convention

 n/a

OCHA Model Agreement

 n/a

Tampere Convention (on the Provision of Telecommunication Resources for Disaster Mitigation and Relief Operations)

 n/a

Regional Agreements (on emergency/disaster response, but also customs unions, regional integration)

 n/a

Customs Clearance

  • The Central African Customs Office in Douala

In order to improve the collection of customs related taxes, the Central African Government opened a customs office branch in Douala, as over 80% of the country’s international trade transits through this port.
Cargo imported through the port of Douala should be customs-cleared and taxes paid at Port level. Once in the Central African territory, only inspections should be done to avoid eventual fraud, as a substitution of cargo during the voyage. Unfortunately, this is not the case, as many merchants are complaining that they have to pay same fees again or additional taxes in Bangui.

  • The ‘Feuille de route’

For goods which are not cleared at the port of Douala (WFP consignments, goods purchased in neighbouring countries), customs clearance should normally be done at the border entry point.
However, the importer may want to clear the goods only in Bangui. In such case, a ‘feuille de route’ is issued with mentions on the quantity, quality and value of the goods. This document should be stamped at various checkpoints along the corridor up to Bangui where the goods will be finally customs-cleared.

  • Bureau d’Affrètement Routier Centrafricain (BARC)

The Bureau d’Affrètement Routier Centrafricain (BARC) watches over the strict respect of the quota of cargo between Cameroonian and Central African transporters. It should be mentioned that as per an agreement with the two countries, 60% of cargo in transit at Douala Port to the Central African Republic should be transported on Central African trucks, whereas the remaining 40% should be transported on Cameroonian trucks.

  • BARC charges

In addition to Customs duties and related taxes (WFP is exempt from these taxes), there is specific fee to be paid to the BARC, which is 6% of the freight (transport cost). It should be mentioned that WFP is not exempt from these fees.